Wake up, sunrise!

It was slightly cold. Woke up at 4.45am to answer nature's call. Once done, an idea struck up- Why not get out of the house to go watch sunrise? 




A few reasons to do so, quite immediately. 

1) Another 8 more weeks or so to face the reality- ie- to have completely my masters prog and back to homeland. 

2) I haven't really taken the effort to watch sunrise

3) Being quite a 6-month advanced 'planner' I am, I've always wanted to do something unplanned and instant. 

Obviously the first reason bugged me alot. So I decided to just get going. It was a 15-minute drive up to Mt-Cootha. As I was driving, I saw quite a number of cyclists, jogging enthusiasts and walking groups climbing up the track. Managed to get a carpark slot near the lookout area. Two teenage girls got out of their cars at the same time. One of them had a huge blanket wrapped around herself. 


When I reached the lookout area, I saw a relatively big group of photographers with all sorts of gadgets and equipments, tripods, massive camera lens, other rod-kind things, lined up beside them. Some of them were checking something on their phones and aligning the angles. Some of them in squatting positions. Some lied down. Some of them leaned against the fence.  

As I took out my small iphone to capture the moment, I felt like a photography-interested peasant. It was about 5.25am. The sun's initial rays looked beautiful. As I stood there, registering that image in my mind, I promised myself to flash this moment in my mind when I'm on my death bed. 

"Aiyo, why you so anti-climax? Think of nice things la, moron," my conscience quickly snapped and I instantly, switched to plan on 'what to eat for lunch' later that day. It was 6 am and we all had an amazingly stunning view of the sunrise.  

To have successfully achieved an unplanned, quick activity like this, a sense of accomplishment engulfed me. To standing there on top of the mountain, all by myself, looking at the sunset, reminiscing every ups and downs of the past 1.5year, to have survived living independently- 

"woah. Macam that feeling is surreal sia." 

The sunrise morning- another day that I would not forget.

Because the last time I tried watching sunrise in sg- I woke up, walked towards my room window, drew the curtains and saw my opposite block neighbour’s underwear on the bamboo stick out to dry. I didn’t give up. I still wanted to see the sunrise.


So I went to the hall and looked out of the window. I saw a bare tree with chopped branches and pretty much nothing left on it , like my bank balance.

I still didn’t want to give up. So I ran to the balcony side only to see the newly built lift block that was actually obstructing the view of my own block on the other side. I told myself, “it’s ok. Let’s go to the kitchen side window.”

I went to the kitchen window side, and saw the same opposite block neighbour house.

Same bamboo stick.
Same underwear.



Comments