Spontaneity is the best kind of adventure- Trip To Toowoomba (Queensland)-1

Queens Park
It is an in-built problem/quality I possess in my body system (partly an occupational hazard). Basically, planning for any trip involves detailed itinerary, time schedules, wet-weather plan and what nots that are atleast 3 excel sheet pages. Sometimes revised versions might go beyond 3 pages. After the recent unplanned sunrise outing, I made another spontaneous 1.5hr road trip west, to Toowoomba. 
                 
It is a small town. Well, it has its own an airport. But not 4 terminals and a burst-out water pipe downpour, so let's just declare Toowoomba a small town. It has its own mini Central Business District as well- top 3 industries in the town are agriculture, mining and manufacturing. 



A planned trip means 3 months of intense case studies, action research and ethonographic research to the point that I might need to interview some of the residents of the destination I want to go to. 



An unplanned trip means just carefully list options one night before the trip. Plan during the dreams. 

Why Toowoomba? 

No 1) The autumn leaf trail was exciting to look at after a quick glimpse of the various spots on google search. 

No 2) Relatively easy 1.5 hr drive. If google maps show 1.5hr, I have to re-calcuate it to my body condition. So that means about 2 hrs drive. Anything beyond that, Taboleh Tahan (can't take it because I feel damn sleepy)

So after saving the various stop options on google maps- Queens Park, Laurel Bank Park, Highfield Pioneer Village, Wall Gallery, Japanese Garden, Picnic Lookout Point

I set out at about 9am. Thank God! I had enough songs on my phone playlist. Nothing like a motivational kickstart to a morning drive listening to MGR's Naan Aanaiyitaal.  Without getting caught in the morning traffic, I managed to get on the highway to Toowoomba quite fast. After listening to MGR hits, sleepiness hit me. Just 45 minutes into the drive, I felt so tired and sleepy. Well, if you think why not look out and enjoy? There were just massive trucks on each side of the lanes. That is the myth about drives- movies and commericals don't show us the truth at times. Scenic drives don't always happen. Sometimes it is just as plain and boring for most part of the drive. 

And then I realised changing song playlist while driving on the highway may not be the easiest of the tasks to be done. But I really needed a break from MGR songs. Stopped over at a petrol station. 

The drive continued with non-stop hits of 90s AR Rahman Songs. About 1 hr into the drive, many vehicles started moving slowly. The huge red signboards along the roads warned/advised drivers to be extra cautious as we were entering the steep upward slope zone- 10% steep. I didn't know how it felt till I entered the zone- It was like a like 50% slope on a walking threadmill. Woah. Really steep sia. A few minutes later, the scenic beauty of Toowoomba was evident. It was calm and quiet. 



My first destination- Queens Park. 


It was a working day so there were barely 7 people including the two working staff who were gardening. On a public holiday or weekend, probably another 5 people might be seen at this massive park. This spot was one of the places in the autumn leaf trail

The best part/memory of this place was the conversation I over-heard at the washroom. A lady entered the washroom with her daughter who probably would be less than 5 years old. They entered the cubicle together. The inquisitive girl questioned her mum, 



"Mummy Mummy, why is this cubicle bigger than the rest?" 


Mummy answered her that it was meant for the wheel-chair users and continued  in a adoringly sweet tone, "Come on sweet heart. let's do this quickly." 

"Mummy Mummy, there is a spider."

Mummy, "Ah.. look at the spider. Isn't that a beauty? Alright Darling, come on."

"Mummy.... Mummy..." 

Throughout the entire episode, the mother was calm, composed and loving and very sweetly answered all her daughter's questions. 

Cut-to-flashback-28years ago.

Me: Ma....

My mum: Pesamay su-su poreeya? illai adi vaanga poreeya?
(You want to su-su or do you want a slap?)

Velaikaraan Velaikaaran thaan.
(Once an Angmoh always an Angmoh)

Japanese Garden

 
I didn't expect it to be right in the middle of housing estate. I was like "Wow, people staying here lucky man!" As I entered, I saw an old man doing tai-chi. A few were doing their afternoon walks I guess. It was already around 12noon. A few more visitors just like me. These were free sites and were opened till dusk. Just like bore-to-death lifeguards at a swimming pool, there was a worker seated near the pond. He was supposed to be the guide. But what was there to be guided? Just walk around aimlessly, take pictures for your instagram (no compromise yo) and read the history if you want to. This garden was presented as a gift by the Japanese to the local community several decades ago. My intellectual consumption was done for the day. Quota finished. 


Graffiti Walls and CBD
I would say Toowoomba has one of the cutest CBD. Imagine a less-crowded Potong Pasir Village, that was Toowoomba. A few companies, a few shops, quite lot of hotels (quite obvious why they need that many hotels considering the kind of business that Toowoomba is famous for) What made this CBD more charming was the art work/graffiti that on the walls almost everywhere I turned to. 






As I was driving along the unexpectedly wide roads, I came across a Grammar School.  If this was the kind of Grammar School I have to attend, I would rather fail my grammar lessons and go again. Cos I is mesmerisfying by the the historic buildings and the vast open field.




Driving, Driving, Driving- I needed a shot!
Got to Max Brenner and got myself an exploding chocolate shot.


As I was tasting every ounce of it, something else strike my mind. 

"Hey why not...?" 


Comments