Gully Boy




When people say Ranveer probably would have learnt to act like a rapper for “gully boy”, I don’t believe it. He was born and the next day, he became a rapper. That is how believable he lives his character as Murad in Gully boy. 

If that’s the case for Ranveer, then Alia Bhatt is just one level ahead. She has been living as “Safeena” for like 7 births. That is how I will like to describe their remarkably phenomenal performances in Gully boy!

After watching the film, I saw Zoya Akhtar’s (director and script writer) interview and she used these two words to explain the writing process for Gully Boy. Her co writer Reema and She hang out with the real rappers of Dharavi and spent lots of time with them. Zoya, “we just let everything marinate and brew in it for a while before writing it out as scenes”

That marination and brewing process are what we see as a terrific platter and feast as Gully Boy. It is a story about an underdog attaining success. But underneath this tale, there lies lots and lots of realism about social division, poverty, dysfunctional family system, passion and love. 

There is a scene at a bridge where Alia comes and gives a peck on Ranveer’s cheek. Being in an area of conservative Indian community, Ranveer is taken aback that she is so bold in public, looks around to ensure no one has seen them and tells her, “you want me to be killed ah?”

For which she replies, “won’t you die for me then?”

And he grins. 

That 20-second scene to highlight a nationwide problem and simultaneously show how much they love each, is one of the many examples to assert the fact that Zoya and Reema are not mere script Writers but are cinema sculptors! 

Another scene where Alia (she is a medical student in this film) has to meet potential grooms because of the pressure from her parents, The boy’s mum asks, “do you know cooking?”

Alia boldly and instantly answers, “No. but In the future I can do a successful liver transplant on you if the need arises.”

I cheered.
I clapped.
I cried.

This is the kind of women characters I would love to see on screen. And thank you Zoya and Reema for creating this. 

In the beginning stages of writing rap lyrics, the not so confident Ranveer walks up to Mc Sher and requests Mc Sher to rap his written piece. 

And there comes my most favourite line,

“I write my own stories.
You tell your stories yourself man.”

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ

Thank you “Gully Boy”

Comments